SWARTHMORE, Pa. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer (5-0-1) traveled to Swarthmore College to take on the Garnet (5-0-1) on Wednesday (Sept. 18) night in non-conference action. Both teams entered the contest with a perfect 5-0 record and played to a 1-1 draw.
St. Mary’s – 1, Swarthmore – 1
How It Happened
- The Seahawks jumped ahead first in the game whenKhalid Balogunnetted his ninth goal of the season in the 39th minute.Josh Luongoplayed a well-placed ball to Balogun for his team-leading ninth goal of the year. The Seahawks took a 1-0 lead into halftime.
- The Garnet responded to begin the second half with a goal in the 50th minute of action, evening the match 1-1. The Seahawks were outshot 10-5 in the second half, but goalkeeperPatrick Paolinikept the game tied at one with six saves. Both squads headed into overtime with one goal each.
- Both the Seahawks and Garnet nearly ended the game with scoring opportunities in the first overtime period. St. Mary’s College had a goal overturned due to a foul committed before the shot and Swarthmore nearly tallied the game-winner with a shot that bounced off the right post. In the second overtime, the Seahawks managed to fire off four shots compared to Swarthmore’s one, but were unable to find the back of the net.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned,Balogunled the Seahawks on the offensive end with one goal.Balogunleads the Capital Athletic Conference with nine goals and 20 points through six games.Luongoalso added one point to his stat line off an assist. In goal,Paolinicollected five saves with six shots faced.
- As a team, the Seahawks were edged in shots (19-18) and corners (8-5).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 21 at DeSales | 3:30 PM
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks