Public Invited to Tour Center’s New Home Dialysis Unit
News Release, Fresenius Kidney Care
Mechanicsville, Md. – Sept. 24, 2019–Fresenius Kidney Care, the dialysis division of Fresenius Medical Care North America and the nation’s leading network ofdialysis facilities, invites the community to attend an open house celebrationonWednesday, Oct. 9 at its new center inMechanicsville. In Maryland, there are nearly 16,200 patients on dialysis.
Fresenius Kidney Care Southern Maryland Homewill have the capacity to treat up to eight number of home patients trained a week. Patients, healthcare providers, and members of the community will be able to tour the center and learn about chronic kidney disease and home dialysis. Clinicians will also provide screenings and risk assessments and offer blood pressure checks at the event.
Many experts agree that home dialysis—eitherperitonealorhemodialysis—is the best option aside from transplant for treating kidney failure. Choosing a home can mean fewer food restrictions, greater scheduling flexibility, less frequent transportation challenges, and better outcomes.
About 1 in 7 adults in the U.S. have chronic kidney disease, with many not detecting the condition until they have lost more than 96 percent of their kidney function.Symptoms and warning signsfor late-stage kidney disease include changes in urination, fatigue, swelling in hands or feet, and pain in the small of the back. Physicians recommend that people who areat risk for CKDare screened at least once a year. More than 600,000 Americans live with kidney failure, which requires either a transplant or dialysis to remove waste from the blood, maintain safe levels of potassium and sodium, and control blood pressure.
The open house will be on Wednesday, October 9, 2019, from 4 p.m.- 7 p.m. at 28103 Three Notch Road Suite 1A Mechanicsville, MD 20159.
Local experienced medical professionals available to discuss:
- Patient services and the latest dialysis treatment options, including:
- Home peritoneal dialysis– offersthe most flexibility to dialyze on a schedule that’s right for you, day or night, in the comfort of your home. With more frequent dialysis, people on peritoneal dialysis often have fewer dietary restrictions and better outcomes.
- Home hemodialysis– offers many of the same benefits as home peritoneal dialysis—greater flexibility, fewer food restrictions, and better outcomes—and may require care partner support.
- How the center’s care team meets patients’ physical and emotional needs by individualizing their care.
- How Fresenius Kidney Care Southern Maryland Home strives to empower people to thrive and live the healthiest, fullest way possible with kidney disease treatments that fit in with life, not the other way around.
- How FreseniusRx renal-trained pharmacists can help dialysis patients manage their medications.
- How to begin the search for a transplant.
- How to sign up for Fresenius Kidney Care’s freeKidneyCare:365class to learn more about kidney disease.