CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland field hockey team (9-0) continued their historic start to their season with a 2-0 victory over the Wilson College Phoenix (3-6) on Sunday (Sept. 29) afternoon. The Seahawks’ 9-0 record is their best start to the season in program history.
St. Mary’s College – 2, Wilson – 0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks got off to a hot start and grabbed the lead in the first ten minutes of the game with a goal from Veronica Maring. Meghan Ronan sent an accurate pass to Maring for the early goal. The second quarter only witnessed one shot, which was fired off by the Seahawks.
- Leading by just one goal, the Seahawks doubled their lead with a goal in the 42nd minute. Hannah Dietrich buried a shot into the back of the cage off a rebound for the Seahawk goal. The Seahawks controlled possession for the rest of the game, holding the Phoenix to just one shot in the second half.
Inside the Box Score
- Ronan recorded one point on the afternoon off an assist and leads the Seahawks with 20 points on the season. Maring and Dietrich led St. Mary’s College with one goal each, respectively. Maring has recorded at least one point in the last three games for the Seahawks. In goal, Kelbey Egerland recorded her ninth win of the season and collected one save on the afternoon.
- The Seahawks dominated all statistical categories in the game, posting a 22-1 advantage in shots and a 17-1 advantage in penalty corners. Wilson’s Krista Nayadley gathered 13 saves for the Phoenix to keep the game close.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 5 vs. Neumann | 1:00 PM | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium | Hawktoberfest
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks