NEW LONDON, Ct. – The Seahawks took home second place in the Danmark Trophy and 12th place in the first round of the Women’s Showcase this weekend (Sept. 28-29). A strong breeze on both Saturday and Sunday made for a challenging day of sailing on the Thames River.
How it Happened
- The Seahawks had six sailors represent this weekend during the Danmark Trophy.Leo Boucherwas the driver withAshley WagnerandSophia Taczakas his crew.Wagnerraced alongsideBoucherfor 17 races, andTaczakfor one race. From the 18 races, they earned 125 points, which was good for second in Division A.
- The Seahawks placed fourth in Division B with a total of 120 points.Lewis Cooperwas the skipper for St. Mary’s College in Division B withLucas Masiello,Sam Muir, andTaczakas the crew.Cooperwas alongsideTaczakfor eight races,Masiellofor four races, andMuirfor six races. Totaling the two divisions together gave the Seahawks second place with 245 points, which was just behind Harvard who had 199 points.
- At the first round of the Women’s Showcase, the Seahawks placed 12th with a total of 316 points.Katherine BennettandLaura Dennisonplaced tenth in Division A earning 154 points. The Seahawks took 12th in Division B totaling 162 points.Jessica Bennettwas the skipper for the Seahawks alongsideGenna Viggianofor 14 races andAllison Gingerichfor two races.
- When asked about this past weekend’s racesK.Bennettstated, “although we didn’t qualify for the top event, every person had many strong moments that resulted in top finishes. The team is excited to continue our hard work at practice and carry that into our next few events.” 12th place in the first round of the Women’s Showcase will allow the sailors to compete on Oct. 12-13 in the Women’s Showcase Final. The regatta will take place at St. Mary’s College on the beautiful St. Mary’s river.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 5-6 | Coed Showcase Showdown A | St. Mary’s College of Maryland
- Oct. 6-7 | Tom Curtis Invitational | Georgetown University
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smc_sailing
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMC_Sailing | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks