ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team (5-16,0-5) continued their season against the Southern Virginia University Knights (12-8, 2-3) and the Washington and Lee Generals (17-5, 5-3) Saturday afternoon (Oct. 12) at the Michael P. O’Brien Athletic and Recreation Center Arena. The Seahawks dropped both of their matches, falling to Southern Virginia University 3-0 and Washington and Lee 3-0 as well.
St. Mary’s College – 0, Southern Virginia University – 3
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College trailed 9-7 early to the Knights but Southern Virginia pulled away and later led 17-12. The Seahawks battled back to bring the score to an 18-15 Southern Virginia lead but that would be the closest St. Mary’s College would come as they dropped the first set 25-18.
- The Knights built an early 4-1 lead in the second and never looked back as they won the second set 25-17.
- The Seahawks woke up in the third set and made it the most competitive set of the day. The two teams traded points all set until it was tied up late at 21-21. Unfortunately for the Seahawks, the Knights used a four-point run to secure the set and match at 25-21.
Inside the Box Score
- Chanel Lucas led in kills with eight while Ellyse Sutliff and Kyra Feinaeur were both second with seven.
- Fatima Bouzid led in assists with 14 while Katie Agate was right behind her with 12.
- Senior Emily Benedict led in digs with 16 while Lucas and Nicole Kreutzinger were second with ten each.
St. Mary’s College – 0, Washington and Lee – 3
How it Happened
- After starting the match in a 3-3 tie, the Generals won 14 of the next 16 points to bring their lead to 17-4. The Seahawks battled back for the last third of the set but dropped it with a score of 25-9.
- Washington and Lee once again jumped out to a comfortable 13-4 lead before eventually taking the second set 25-11.
- The third set resembled the first two as Washington and Lee once again jumped out to a commanding 20-9 lead that eventually turned into a 25-14 third set win.
Inside the Box Score
- Chanel Lucas once again led in kills for the Seahawks as she recorded eight.
- Katie Agate led in assists with 12 as Fatima Bouzid followed her up with eight.
- Emily Benedict continued to be a defensive force as she recorded another 16 digs on the day.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 16 at York College of Pennsylvania | 7:00 P.M. | Grumbacher Athletic Center Arena
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks