SALISBURY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team (5-18,0-7) continued their season against the Salisbury University Sea Gulls (14-8, 3-4) in a Capital Athletic Conference matchup Saturday afternoon (Oct. 19). The Seahawks dropped the match 3-2.
St. Mary’s College – 2, Salisbury University – 3
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College and Salisbury University went point for point in the first set until they reached and even 15-15. The two teams continued to trade punches all the way to 25-25. The Seahawks would go up 26-25 and from there Chanel Lucas slammed home the ball for a 27-25 first set win over the Sea Gulls.
- Salisbury jumped out to a 12-6 lead in the second set and never looked back as they took the set 25-17.
- The third set mirrored the second as the Sea Gulls jumped out to an early lead and comfortably won the third with a score of 25-15.
- The Seahawks came ready to play in the fourth set as both teams were tied early at 8-8. St. Mary’s College won six of the next eight points to take a 14-10 lead heading into a Salisbury timeout. Salisbury chipped away at the Seahawks lead until it was 19-18, in favor of the Seahawks. St. Mary’s College pulled away from the Sea Gulls and took the fourth set 25-22, bringing the match to an even 2-2 in sets.
- The fifth set proved to be the most dramatic as the lead would be exchanged several times until the score came to 13-13. Unfortunately for the Seahawks, Salisbury took the last two points for a 15-13 fifth set win.
Inside the Box Score
- Ellyse Sutliff had a big day for the Seahawks as she recorded 18 kills with Erin Krauss right behind her with 13.
- Katie Agate registered 45 assists to lead St. Mary’s College, which was a season-high for the junior.
- Nicole Kreutzinger led the Seahawks in digs with 16 and Lucas followed her with 13.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 23 vs Christopher Newport University | 7:00 P.M. | Michael P. O’Brien Athletic and Recreation Center Arena
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks