ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland sailing team faced tough competition this weekend (Oct. 26-27) in the War Memorial Regatta and the MAISA Women’s Fall Dinghy Championship. The Seahawks placed first in the War Memorial Regatta and eighth in the MAISA Women’s Fall Dinghy Championship.
How it Happened
- The MAISA Women’s Fall Dinghy Championship took place on the St. Mary’s River this weekend, and was classified as a conference championship regatta. There were two scoring divisions in which five sailors from St. Mary’s College competed. In Division A,Jessica BennettandGenna Viggianoplaced seventh with 70 points.
- Seahawks placed eighth in Division B with 82 points.Laura Dennisonwas the skipper withKatherine BennettandGloria Kevliciuteswitching off as crew members. With the two divisions combined, the Seahawks placed eighth overall with 152 points.
- The War Memorial Regatta was hosted this weekend by the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point. There were two scoring divisions and seven Seahawks took the water. In Division A,Leo Boucheras skipper andAshley Wagner,Sam Muir, andLucas Masielloswitched off as crew.Boucher,Wagner,Muir, andMasielloplaced fourth in Division A with 75 points.
- In Division B, the skipper wasLewis Cooperand the crew switched off betweenSophia TaczakandThomas Walker. The Seahawks placed first in Division B, which when combined with Division A scores gave them the first place title and 123 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 8-10 | ICSA Singlehanded National Championships | UC Santa Barbara
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smc_sailing
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMC_Sailing | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks