NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland field hockey team (13-5) traveled to Christopher Newport University (CNU) on Wednesday (Nov. 6) evening to take on the Captains (14-4) in the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament Semifinals. The third-seeded Seahawks were edged 2-1 by the second-seeded Captains.
St. Mary’s College – 1, Christopher Newport – 2
How It Happened
- The Seahawks fell behind early as CNU’s Abby Asuncion found the back of the cage in the 3rd minute of action. Next, the Seahawks and Captains failed to tally another score for the remainder of the first and the entire second quarter.
- The Captains extended their lead in the third quarter when Courtney Fiest scored in the 37th minute of play. Trailing by two goals, the Seahawks continued to battle into the fourth stanza and eventually found the back of the cage in the 49th minute. Celina Kaufman was credited with the Seahawks’ lone goal and Veronica Maring dished out the assist. St. Mary’s College had 11 minutes to find the equalizing goal, but were shut down by the Captain defense.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned, Kaufman led the Seahawks with the lone goal of the evening. The first-year forward finished the season with a team-best 10 goals and recorded 21 points, good for second on the team. Maring dished out one assist and finished the year with 14 points.. In goal, Kelbey Egerland collected four saves and finished the season with 45.
- As a team, the Seahawks were bested in shots (16-9) and penalty corners (7-5).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- This concludes the Seahawks’ 2019 campaign.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks