News Release, Charles County Public Information Office
On Tuesday, Jan. 28, the County Commissioners received information on the next steps for implementation of the Rural Planning and Zoning Task Force’s 18 recommendations. Some of these recommendations include creating an agriculture advisory board, having an agricultural liaison, working to improve customer accessibility, updating the Zoning Ordinance to reflect trends in agritourism, ecotourism, and related economies. The full list of recommendations is available online.
Associate County Attorney Danielle Mitchell briefed Commissioners on legislative activities in the Maryland General Assembly. She discussed the status of legislative proposals that Commissioners submitted to the local delegation.
- A budget amendment increase of $264,000 to provide funding in the capital improvement program for the replacement of the La Plata Library chiller, which failed during the summer.
- A budget amendment increase of $192,400 to utilize fund balance reserves for the Blue Crabs Stadium seating project that was cancelled by the Commissioners during fiscal 2020 budget adoption. The project cannot be supported by bond proceeds and required a funding source to close the project.
- A budget transfer request of $124,140 to transfer funding from the construction line item to cover the cost of CCTV video by the engineer for the Mattawoman Inflow and Infiltration sewer system.
- The change order #39 to provide funding to cover the costs for an additional 250,000 linear feet of CCTV review for the Mattawoman Sewershed Study project.
- A budget transfer request of $78,010 to transfer funding from the Mattawoman Inflow and Infiltration construction line item contract to fund the continuation of the Program Management Extension contract.
- Commissioners recognized Maryland Maritime Archeology Program Person of the Year Francis Parks for her dedicated work to the program. Photo available online.
- Commissioners proclaimed Jan. 26 to Feb. 1 as Catholic Schools Week and recognized three Catholic elementary schools in the county, including Archbishop Neale, St. Mary’s Bryantown, and St. Peter’s. Photo available online.
- Reappointed Charles County members of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.
- Appointed Charles Harding as chairman and reappointed Francine Morgan and Tanya Barnett to the Commission for Veterans Affairs. Also, appointed Joan Sabree as a citizen member to the Commission for Veteran Affairs.
- Appointed Lauretta Miles, Elaine Brown, and Laura Butrick as citizen members to the Area Council on Aging.
Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.