ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-16, 0-6 CAC) hosted the Salisbury University Sea Gulls (9-12, 2-4 CAC) on Saturday (Feb. 1) afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action. The Seahawks were overpowered by the Sea Gulls and fell by a final score of 93-59.
St. Mary’s College – 59, Salisbury – 93
How It Happened
- The Seahawks fell behind early in the contest when Salisbury used a 15 point scoring run to pull ahead 19-2 at the 3:50 mark of the opening stanza. However, St. Mary’s College finished the quarter strong by outscoring the Sea Gulls 13-5.Ashleigh Bonannorecorded the final points of the quarter with a layup in the paint.
- The second stanza of action was much more competitive as the Seahawks were edged 19-16. Salisbury strung together a seven point run at the 8:49 mark to take a 31-15 advantage. Next, the Seahawks responded with a run of their own, capturing nine straight points to bring the score to 33-26 in the Sea Gulls favor.Kelli Jenkinshighlighted the run with six points. St. Mary’s College headed into halftime trailing Salisbury 43-31.
- In the third quarter, the Seahawks struggled on the defensive end, allowing 29 points. The Seahawks fortunes weren’t much better on the offensive end as they could only create a three-point scoring run.
- St. Mary’s College was outscored 21-13 in the final stanza and used a six point run with 4:35 remaining to cut the Sea Gull lead to 23.Chyna Landon,Kyaira Priest, andGina Seifertrecorded scores during the scoring streak. However, the Sea Gull lead was too much to overcome for the Seahawks.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifertled the Seahawks on the offensive end with 18 points for her second best mark in a game this season. In addition,Seifertled the Seahawks on the glass with five rebounds and led the team in steals with three.Jenkinsalso recorded her second best mark of the season in scoring, finishing with 16 points.PriestandSeifertdished out a team-high three assists each.
- Kaylee Otlowskiled the Sea Gulls with a double-double, recording 24 points and 11 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 4 vs. Randolph-Macon | 6:00 p.m. | MPOBARC Arena