ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (7-15, 2-5 CAC) hosted the Christopher Newport University Captains (CNU) (18-4, 7-0 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference action on Wednesday (Feb. 5) evening. The Seahawks were downed by the Captains 93-63.
St. Mary’s College – 63, Christopher Newport – 93
How It Happened
- In a game where the Seahawks never held the lead, the Captains started the contest by capturing a 10-6 lead at the 16:20 mark of play. Minutes later, St. Mary’s College battled back with a seven-point run to trim the CNU lead to one. Reggie Rouse recorded two layups and a three-pointer during the Seahawk scoring streak.
- The Captains stretched their lead to 36-24 with just under five minutes remaining to grab their largest lead of the first half. However, the Seahawks continued to play hard and trimmed the Captain lead to 40-32 heading into halftime. Rouse drained a three-ball with one second remaining to give the Seahawks momentum heading into the locker rooms.
- The Seahawks fortunes changed during the second half as the Captains outscored St. Mary’s College 53-31 in the second frame. The Seahawks could only string together a four-point run in the second half, while the Captains tallied 11 unanswered points at the 6:28 mark. CNU eventually stretched their lead to 31 points with 4:59 remaining in the game. Trailing by a large amount, the Seahawks couldn’t mount a comeback and fell to the Captains.
Inside the Box Score
- Rousetied his season-best mark in scoring this evening, recording 14 points.Gary GrantandDee Barnesfollowed with 13 points each, respectively.Jack Foleyled the Seahawks on the glass with seven rebounds and tallied one block. Additionally,Foleyled the team in steals along withJustin Milstead, hustling for two steals each.
- Dalon McHughled the Captains on the offensive end with 18 points.Cutch EllisandIan Andersonrecorded double-doubles for CNU.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 8 vs. Mary Washington | 4:00 p.m. | MPOBARC Arena | Senior Day