ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse team (1-0) hosted the Randolph College Wildcats (0-1) in their season opener on Saturday (Feb. 8) afternoon. The Seahawks blew past the Wildcats by a final score of 22-1 for their first victory of the season.
St. Mary’s College – 22, Randolph – 1
How It Happened
- Much like the entire game, the Seahawks dominated the first frame of play by outscoring the Wildcats 7-0.Dominic Venanzi(2),Ben Claffee(2),Jude Brown(2), andAbe Hubbardfound the back of the net in the scoring streak.Brownwas also credited with three assists during the Seahawks first seven scores.
- Claffeetallied his third goal of the game at the 10:57 mark of the second quarter, but the Wildcats answered minutes later with their only goal of the contest. Next, the Seahawks finished the opening half strong with four unanswered goals.Jeremiah Clemmer(2),Erich Wuesthoff, andJack Brocatoripped shots into the back of the cage to end the half.
- From there, the Seahawks poured it on with 10 unanswered goals to end the game.Claffeeadded two more goals to his stat line with one on a man-up opportunity.Brocatoalso recorded two more scores in the Seahawk scoring frenzy.Jack Conwaymade the most of his playing time in the second half by tallying three goals.Walker Krizman,Austin Brown, andHubbardeach found the back of the net once to end the contest, respectively.
Inside the Box Score
- Brownled the Seahawks on the offensive end with eight total points, notching two goals and six assists.BrocatoandClaffeefollowed with five points each. Additionally,ConwayandClemmercapped off their afternoon with four points each.
- Luke McWrighthustled for a team-best seven ground balls and also caused two turnovers.Alex Pfaffmade his presence known on the defensive end causing a team-high four turnovers. In goal, Kyrle Pries eliminated the Wildcat scoring opportunities by gathering 10 saves.
- As a team, the Seahawks held the advantage in faceoffs, winning 17 of 26. The Seahawks also finished a perfect 33 of 33 in their clearing opportunities.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 15 vs. Dickinson | 12:00 p.m. | at Sparks, Maryland | US Lacrosse Hall of Fame