News Release, Captial Athletic Conference
YORK, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (8-17, 3-7 CAC) traveled to York College on Wednesday (Feb. 19) evening to take on the Spartans (20-5, 9-1 CAC). The Seahawks concluded regular-season action by falling to the Spartans 68-62.
St. Mary’s College – 62, York – 68
How It Happened
- The first half of action was highly competitive, witnessing multiple lead changes and tied scores. Knotted up at 27-27 with just under four minutes remaining in the first half, the Seahawks used four-straight points to grab a 31-27 advantage.Tryllian YoungandMiles Gillettetallied scores during the run. Minutes later,Gillettedrained a jumper to hold a 36-33 lead with 17 seconds remaining. Next, the Spartans ended the half with momentum with a made free throw and St. Mary’s College headed into the locker rooms with a two-point lead.
- The Seahawks started the second half strong with whenDee Barnesfought through a foul to convert on his layup.Barnesheaded to line and completed the three-point play to give the Seahawks a 39-34 advantage. After another made jumper fromGillette, the Spartans responded with nine-straight points to take their first lead of the half.
- St. Mary’s College trailed York 61-59 with just over two minutes remaining, but the Spartans once again used a timely run to give themselves a 66-59 lead.Gillettestormed down the court and sunk a three-ball with 14 seconds left, but the Seahawks ran out of time to capture the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Gilletteled the Seahawks on the offensive end with a season-best 33 points. In addition,Gilletteled the Seahawks with 14 rebounds for his seventh double-double of the year.Gillettealso did his part on the defensive end by tallying a team-best two blocks, while adding one steal.Barneswas the other Seahawks to reach double-figures in scoring with 10 points.
- Jared Wagnerled the Spartans with a double-double, recording 21 points and 11 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 22 at Salisbury | TBD | Maggs Physical Activities Center | CAC Tournament Quarterfinals