News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland Athletics
SALISBURY, Md. – The fifth-seeded St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (9-17, 3-7 CAC) traveled to the fourth-seeded Salisbury University Sea Gulls (10-16, 4-6 CAC) on Saturday (Feb. 22) afternoon in the first round of the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament. The Seahawks upset the Sea Gulls by a final score of 79-74. In the process, Head Coach Chris Harney ’97 recorded his 250th victory in his 15th year at the helm for the Seahawks.
St. Mary’s College – 79, Salisbury – 74
How It Happened
- Salisbury came out of the gates hot and grabbed a five-point lead at the 17:05 mark of the half for their largest advantage of the game. The Seahawks committed seven turnovers in the opening half but limited the Sea Gulls to scoring only two points off of their errors. Conversely, the Seahawks were able to take advantage of tallying four points off of Salisbury’s turnovers.
- The Seahawks notched nine-straight points with 2:04 remaining in the first half to capture a 33-25 lead. Dee Barnes, Gary Grant, and Jack Foley recorded scores during the run. Salisbury tallied the final three points of the half and the Seahawks headed into the locker rooms leading 33-28.
- In a highly competitive second half, the Seahawks grabbed a six-point lead at the 19:14 mark of action. The lead was their largest of the second half. The Sea Gulls battled back and used a six-point run to go ahead by four points with 11:08 remaining.
- With under four minutes remaining, the Seahawks used a clutch nine-point scoring run to take a six-point lead. Barnes began the run with a layup in the paint and Grant highlighted the scoring streak with seven points. Next, Salisbury cut the lead to two with 26 seconds remaining and resorted to fouling. Reggie Rouse and Miles Gillette hit their free throws to seal the victory, advancing the Seahawks the CAC Tournament Semifinals.
Inside the Box Score
- The Seahawks used a balanced attack to defeat the Seahawks which featured three scorers who tallied 20 points or more. Grant led the Seahawks with 21 points, and Barnes and Gillette followed with 20 each, respectively. Grant also collected a team-high 10 rebounds to record a double-double.
- Johnny Fierstein led the Sea Gulls with 19 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 26 at Christopher Newport | 6:00 p.m. | Freeman Center | CAC Semifinal