Written by St. Mary’s College Athletic Communications Intern, Jeremy Mattanah
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md.- The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team (2-1) continued their 2020 season on Sunday (Feb. 23) afternoon by hosting the Mt. St.Mary Knights (1-1). The Seahawks beat the Knights by a score of 8-6 for their second victory of the season.
St. Mary’s College – 8, Mt. St. Mary’s College – 6
How It Happened
- The Knights started out the game strong, securing three runs by the end of the second inning off of a pair of wild pitches and a base knock. The Seahawks, however, were able to push five runs across the plate in the third inning. Derek Taitano pushed a run across the plate off a walk, Tyler Taitano was hit by a pitch, and Joey Bryner lined a base hit that pushed across two runs. Both teams recorded one run each in the fourth as Jay Hammett smacked an RBI single to center field, plating Jake Wood.
- Next, the Seahawks were able to score two more in the fifth inning off of a double by Dillon Waters. The Knights were able to score two more runs in the last two innings but it was not enough to overcome the Seahawk lead. D. Waters pitched the final two innings for the Seahawks and earned the save to secure the Seahawk victory.
Inside the Box Score
- D. Taitano led the Seahawks from the plate going two for three and also recorded one RBI and two runs scored. D. Waters and Bryner both recorded two RBI’s while Hammett,Tyler Taitano,Brady Waterswere also able to record RBI’s. On the base paths, Wood andTyson Johnsonrecorded steals making this Wood’s third steal and Johnson’s first.
- Jake Sandridgestarted the game on the mound, throwing five innings and recording the win. In addition, he only allowed one run.Nick TestoniandSam Roederboth pitched one inning and D. Waters pitched two innings. D. Waters also recorded two strikeouts and the Seahawks’ pitching staff allowed just six earned runs.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 26 at Washington College (Md.) | 3:00 pm | Athey Park