Written by St. Mary’s College Athletic Communications Intern, Cameron Frank

WINCHESTER, Va. –  The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s lacrosse team (4-2) traveled to Shenandoah University to take on the Hornets (5-0) on Saturday (Mar. 7) afternoon in non-conference action. The Seahawks were edged by the Hornets 14-12 for their second loss of the season.

How It Happened

  • The start of the game was a back and forth affair. Just over two and a half minutes in the game, St. Mary’s College drew first blood as Kate Bartholomew scored an unassisted goal. Shenandoah then responded just 15 seconds later with an unassisted goal by Alyson Bittinger. The teams would trade goals again in the span of one minute, leading to a 0-0 game turning into a 2-2 tie in just over a minute.
  • St. Mary’s College would break this tie quickly as Kelly Emge scored an unassisted goal to put the Seahawks up by one. Then, just over 10 minutes into the first half, the Seahawks went on a three goal-scoring spree in just over two minutes to put them up by four.
  • Shenandoah would eventually respond with two assisted goals by Emma Stiffler, and thirty-five seconds after Stiffler’s second assisted a goal, Cassie Arndt would score a free position shot to get Shenandoah within one. 
  • This woke up the Seahawks, who responded by scoring three goals of their own before going into the half with a fairly comfortable four-goal lead.
  • Unfortunately for the Seahawks, Shenandoah got off to a fast start in the second half with Stiffler scoring an unassisted goal not even a minute into it.
  • Five minutes later, Bittinger would score a free position goal to put Shenandoah within two, but the Seahawks would respond quickly with an unassisted goal by Lucy Gussio 45 seconds afterward.
  • Sadly for the Seahawks, Bittinger would suddenly catch fire a third of the way into the second half. Specifically, she proceeded to score four goals in a row; two assisted and two free positions, and the fourth goal gave Shenandoah their first lead of the game.
  • It took the Seahawks a bit of time to break through Shenandoah’s defenses, but Erin Carmody finally tied the game up with just over seven and a half minutes to go. 
  • Then, with five and a half minutes to go in the game, Emge took back the Seahawks’ lead with a free position shot. A minute later; however, Alexandra Simonson tied the game back up with a goal assisted by Bittinger. 
  • It appeared overtime was inevitable, but with just over two and a half minutes to go, Shenandoah took back the lead with a free position shot by Arndt. And 40 seconds later, Shenandoah would place the exclamation point on their comeback victory with another Arndt goal assisted by Bittinger. This would be the final goal of the game.

Inside the Box Score

  • Bartholomew led the team with eleven shots, and nine shots on the goal. To add, five out of those nine shots on goal made it into the goal, which also led the team.
  • Alyssa Demski narrowly led the team in ground balls: scooping up three of them.
  • Stephanie Heffron gained control of the draw six times, narrowly beating out Bartholomew, who controlled the draw five times.
  • Aimee Uibel took her second loss of the season, as she experienced twenty-five shots on her goal and saved eleven of them. 

Up Next for the Seahawks

  • Mar. 11 vs Haverford | 4:00 p.m. | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium 

David M. Higgins II, Publisher/Editor

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in...