CSM Cancels All Events, Closes Fitness Centers, Reschedules or Cancels Some Classes Involving Hands-on Requirements
News Release, College of Southern Maryland
The College of Southern Maryland (CSM) announces that it is taking additional steps to help in the national response to reduce the spread of COVID-19. As a precaution, the college is on track to begin reduced operations Monday, March 16, when it moves the majority of the credit and non-credit classes to a virtual environment.
Student Services offices, libraries, computer labs, tutoring and testing centers will all remain open with normal operating hours. However, Student Life and Men of Excellence will suspend all student activities, events and meetings between March 16 and April 30. CSM will carefully monitor the situation, and if conditions warrant it, CSM will extend these suspensions beyond April 30.
In addition to moving classes online, CSM is making several operational changes effective March 16 that can be tracked at ready.csmd.edu/covid-19/. Some highlights you will find at the website include:
- CSM will move as many lecture-based, in-person, and hybrid classes as possible to fully online by Monday, March 16. These courses will run online until April 30, unless the situation warrants continued instruction exclusively in an online environment.
- All courses that require hands-on activities that are not suited for an online environment will be rescheduled.
- All clinical placement programs will follow the clinical site’s protocol?or accrediting body guidance. Arrangements?will be made for students to complete their?required clinical hours once determinations are made.
- In-progress Continuing Education and Workforce Development (CWD) classes that can be completed by March 24 will continue as normal. Classes that end after March 24 will be rescheduled.
- Scheduled CWD courses that have not yet started will be rescheduled to start after May 1. Students who have enrolled in those courses will be contacted to arrange for their enrollment in future sections.
- CWD contract training classes that are not held on CSM campuses will be handled on a case-by-case basis in consultation with clients. Contract classes held on CSM campuses will be moved to the client’s location, if possible, or rescheduled for a date in May.
- All in-person Community Education classes (personal enrichment and fitness courses) that start after Monday, March 16 will be rescheduled. Students are asked to check their emails for further communication regarding their particular classes.
- The Leonardtown and La Plata fitness centers and campus pools will be closed beginning Monday, March 16. The college will work with members to adjust their memberships.
- All other official CSM events and events hosted at CSM campuses are canceled or postponed until further notice. CSM will only reserve space for new events scheduled after May.
“Our approach is guided by three goals,” said CSM President Dr. Maureen Murphy. “First, to protect the health of our students, faculty, staff, and tri-county neighbors. Second, to help slow the spread of the virus in Maryland and the nation; and third, to ensure the continuity of teaching as much as possible.”
Students should make sure they are monitoring their CSM student email accounts, as well as the MyLearning course shells for their individual courses, and stay in close contact with their professors if they have any questions about their courses.
CSM will continue to work closely with local, state and federal authorities, and will share information as quickly as possible when and if these new operating conditions change. All updates can be found at http://ready.csmd.edu/.
Anyone exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 or any other flu-like symptoms (e.g. sore throat, body ache, congestion) should not come to CSM campuses or any CSM events. Anyone exhibiting these symptoms will be required to leave campus immediately.
For additional information about the status of COVID-19, Marylanders can call 2-1-1; text MDReady to 898211 to receive text updates re: COVID-19, or go online to 211md.org.