News Release, Charles County Public Schools
Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) and the Board of Education are hosting two virtual town halls on Monday, June 29 about the reopening of schools in the fall. The town halls will be WebEx virtual meetings and streamed live on the school system website, www.ccboe.com. Staff will provide a presentation outlining reopening options. The presentations also will include results compiled from recent staff/parent surveys. A comment period will follow.
Monday’s town hall events are as follows:
· Staff town hall, 4 to 5:30 p.m. (for CCPS staff and teachers)
· Parent/community town hall, 6 to 7:30 p.m. (for parents and community members)
The Board and Superintendent of Schools Kimberly Hill want feedback from staff, parents and community members about options to reopen schools in the fall. The options were suggested by five school system committees representing the following – elementary-, middle, and high-school levels, operations, and health and safety.
Staff, parents and community members can provide comments during the town halls and space will be limited to the first 30 registrants per event. Two links – one for staff and one for parents/community members – will be sent by email tomorrow for those interested in registering to speak during the town halls. Registration links will also be provided on CCPS social media outlets Facebook and Twitter.
Registration is required. Participants will have to provide their first and last name, as well as an email address to receive meeting access, during the registration process. The first 30 registrations for each town hall will be approved. This is to allow each participant two minutes to speak. The Board and CCPS staff will not be responding to questions during the town halls. Questions can be emailed in advance to email@example.com, and will be used to develop a frequently asked questions page on the CCPS website.
All participants will be muted during the town hall except for when their name is called to speak. Speakers will be called and unmuted when it is their turn to provide comments. Speakers should recite their name before providing comments. CCPS reserves the right to mute a participant for inappropriate language and/or remove them from the town hall meeting as a participant.
Staff, parents and community members can provide comments for consideration by the Board and Superintendent Hill using the following:
· Register to speak at the town hall events. Registration information will be shared June 26.
· Provide comments through the CCPS website here: https://www.ccboe.com/index.php/town-hall-comment-form. Comments should not exceed 250 words; however, users can upload written documents to the website using the provided form.
· Call the public comment voicemail line at 240-776-5803 and leave a voice message. Staff will compile messages for review.
· Written comments can be mailed to: Charles County Public Schools, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD, 20646. Deadline to submit comments is Monday, July 6.
Copies of the presentations to be shared at the town halls will be posted on the school system website at ccboe.com for review. CCPS staff are planning to present reopening options to the Board in August.