Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
News Release, Maryland Lottery
Tickets expiring after March 5 can still be redeemed by Lottery Claims Center
To ensure that Maryland Lottery winners have ample opportunity to claim prizes, claiming deadlines have been temporarily extended during the COVID-19 state of emergency, allowing players to redeem winning tickets with drawing dates as far back as Sept. 5, 2019.
Typically, Maryland Lottery draw game tickets must be claimed within 182 days of the drawing date, and scratch-off tickets must be claimed within 182 days of the announced end of game date.
Any ticket that expires during Maryland’s COVID-19 state of emergency can still be claimed for up until 30 days after the state of emergency ends. The state of emergency was declared on March 5, 2020, and remains in effect.
Tickets that have expired since March 5 must be redeemed at Maryland Lottery headquarters in Baltimore. Lottery retailers are not able to redeem these tickets. Claim by mail using the instructions and claim form available on the How To Claim page of mdlottery.com, or schedule an appointment online to claim in person at Lottery headquarters, located at 1800 Washington Boulevard in Baltimore. To visit the Lottery office, winners must make an appointment. Walk-in claims are not permitted.
The grace period applies to winning tickets for any drawing that occurred on or after Sept. 5, 2019, all winning FAST PLAY tickets, and any winning scratch-off ticket with a last date to claim of March 5, 2020 or later. Last dates to claim for scratch-off tickets are listed in the scratch-off section of mdlottery.com.
There are thousands of unclaimed tickets that are past their typical expiration dates, but can still be cashed under the state of emergency grace period. Among the biggest prizes are:
- A $50,000 Powerball ticket purchased Oct. 19, 2019 at Westway Liquors, 5312 Edmondson Avenue, Baltimore
- A $50,000 Powerball ticket purchased Nov. 23, 2019 at Lou’s Liquors, 1208 Mayo Road, Edgewater
- A $10,000 Mega Millions ticket purchased Sept. 3, 2019 (for the Sept. 6 drawing) at Ridgely Liquors, 1752 York Road, Lutherville
- A Racetrax ticket worth $9,878 purchased Sept. 16, 2019 at Express Food Mart, 4901 Marlboro Pike, Capitol Heights
- A Racetrax ticket worth $8,318 purchased Sept. 13, 2019 at Woodbrook Exxon, 6201 North Charles Street, Baltimore.