News Release, MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital
LEONARDTOWN, MARYLAND (July 22, 2020) – Six local students were recently awarded MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital’s annual scholarship for 2020. Funded by the efforts of the Philanthropy Committee of the hospital’s Board of Directors and committed support from community members, this year’s scholarship will benefit recipients who are all pursuing nursing.
The 2020 winners are:
- Julia Bowie of Waldorf, attending the College of Southern Maryland and Stevenson University
- Claire Broadhead of California, Maryland, bound for Stevenson University
- Jordan Connelly of Mechanicsville, headed next to Eastern University of Pennsylvania
- Kylah Laird of Hollywood, Maryland, attending Bob Jones University in South Carolina
- Anna Repasi of California, Maryland, enrolling at Ave Maria University in Florida
- Bernalyn Vaznaian of Great Mills, headed next to the College of Southern Maryland and Stevenson University
“Throughout the COVID-19 emergency, it’s more apparent than ever that supporting healthcare workers and ensuring the future of quality local healthcare at MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital is so important,” said Lea Weaver, chair of this year’s scholarship committee. “We spoke with many impressive students and are thrilled to support this year’s winners as they become the leaders of tomorrow.”
Since 2001, funds raised through the hospital’s annual gala have supported 163 scholarships for students pursuing healthcare fields crucial to the care of St. Mary’s patients. In exchange for this support, recipients agree to return to MedStar St. Mary’s to work for a predetermined length of time after graduation.
Applications are accepted each spring. Visit MedStarStMarys.org/Scholarships to learn more.