On March 12, 2020, Governor Lawrence J. Hogan, Jr. issued an Executive Order suspending the legal time authorizations of certain State-issued licenses, permits, registrations, and authorizations due to the proclaimed state-of-emergency and catastrophic health emergency pandemic related to COVID-19. This Executive Order applied to all licenses, permits, and registrations issued or required by the Maryland Department of State Police Licensing Division.
At that time, the expiration date of each covered authorization was extended to the 30th day, after the date by which the state-of-emergency is terminated and catastrophic health emergency is rescinded. This has been amended and is no longer valid.
The original Executive Order can be read by clicking the following link: https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Licenses-Permits-Registration.pdf
On March 9, 2021, Governor Hogan amended this Executive Order by only extending it through June 30, 2021. Therefore, all licenses, permits, and registrations issued or required by the Maryland Department of State Police Licensing Division are now extended through June 30, 2021.
Any license, permit, or registration that has expired during the time period covered by the Executive Order, (March 12, 2020, through June 30, 2021), will require the appropriate renewal application or registration to be submitted in order to remain current after the June 30th expiration of the Executive Order.
The current Executive Order can be read by clicking the following link: https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Licenses-Timeframes-2d-AMENDED-03.09.21.pdf
Licenses, Permits, and Registrations issued by the Maryland Department of State Police Licensing Division affected by this Executive Order include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Private Detective Certifications and Agencies
- Machine Gun Registration / Renewal
- Security Guard Certifications and Agencies
- MD Regulated Firearm Dealers License
- Security Systems Technicians and Agencies
- MD New Resident Registration
- Special Police Commissions
- Qualified Handgun Instructor License
- Wear and Carry (Handgun) Permit
Please note that certain renewal applications have specific requirements that must be followed to avoid the expiration of the permit, license, or registration. Please refer to our website (MDSP Licensing Division) to review specific renewal requirements. To ensure that renewal applications are processed before June 30, 2021, it is suggested that you file your application as soon as possible.
For further assistance, please contact the specific unit of the Licensing Division at the below email addresses:
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Regulated firearm purchase/transfer application
- email@example.com – Handgun carry permit application
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Handgun qualification license application
- email@example.com – Private detective certification
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Security guard certifications
- email@example.com – Security systems certification
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Special railroad police certifications
For additional information, please visit our website by clicking here: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision.aspx
A complete list of Executive Orders related to the COVID-19 pandemic can be found at https://governor.maryland.gov/covid-19-pandemic-orders-and-guidance/