Hilton Head Island, SC– The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s tennis team defeated Western Connecticut State this afternoon (Mar. 14) to kick off the PTR Spring Tennis Fest. The Seahawks improved to 5-1 on the year, cruising to a 9-0 victory.
- Stephen Alam and Kier Nacua battled to earn a 8-3 win while competing in the No.1 against Western Connecticut State. Sam Sheats and Tyler Vanvalkenburg kept the winning trend going, earning a 8-4 victory in the No. 2 spot.
- Keawe Shepherd-Johnson and Liam Pratt finished the clean sweep in doubles for the Seahawks. They were able to come out on top, 8-1 in the No. 3 spot.
- Kier Nacua earned a hard fought victory in the No. 1 spot, taking both sets with scores of 7-5 and 6-2. Vanvalkenburg represented the Seahawks in the No. 2 spot and was able to take both sets 6-3 and 6-1. Keawe Shepherd-Johnson competed in the No. 3 spot and was able to prevail with scores of 6-3 and 6-1 .
- The momentum continued for the Seahawks as they were able to win their last three matches of the day. Liam Pratt had a nice outing in the No. 4, winning both sets with scores of 6-1 and 6-2. Gorel competed at the No. 5 spot and finished in similar fashion with scores of 6-0 and 6-0.
- Jack Hoehn wrapped things up in the No. 6 spot taking home a match victory with scores of 7-5 and 6-2.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 15 | Oswego State | 3:00 PM | Hilton Head Island, SC