NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Sophomore Meaghan Collins (Pocomoke City, Md./Pocomoke) picked up a runner-up finish in the discus throw on Saturday at the 2022 Coast-To-Coast Athletic Conference Women’s Outdoor Track & Field Championships hosted by Christopher Newport University.
The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s outdoor track & field team finished fifth in the six-team field with 26 points. St. Mary’s College set three school records while posting 10 personal records.
Christopher Newport captured its second straight C2C women’s outdoor championship title with 235 points, followed by the University of California Santa Cruz in second (139), the University of Mary Washington in third (109.50), and Salisbury University in fourth (98.50). Pratt Institute came in last with five points.
How It Happened
- Collins came in second in the discus with a mark of 31.68m while sophomore Morgan Marzec (Delmar, Md./Salisbury Christian) notched a PR of 21.63m to finish sixth. Marzec’s mark ranks eighth in the C2C.
- Collins also earned a fourth-place finish in the hammer throw with 33.90m while Marzec finished seventh with a PR of 24.15, which ranks eighth in the conference.
- Junior Ariat Ojulu (Baltimore, Md./Dundalk) clocked a school and personal record of 1:02.96 to place fifth in the 400m, ranking Ojulu 46th in the Mid-Atlantic region. Her time today broke her own record of 1:03.42 set at the Seahawk Invitational on April 2.
- Senior Alana Thompson (Silver Spring, Md./Keystone [Pa.]) took ninth in the 400m with a PR of 1:04.66, which ranks 13th in the C2C.
- Sophomore Madeleine Blaisdell (Bethesda, Md./Walt Whitman) notched a fifth-place finish in the 1500m with a PR of 5:02.98 while first-year Jason Sprague (Panama City, Fla./Rutherford) came in 11th with a PR of 6:09.13 and senior captain Jordan Bailey (Los Alamos, N.M./Los Alamos) was 13th with a PR of 7:20.69.
- The foursome of first-year Natalie Romero (Lusby, Md./Patuxent), Ojulu, sophomore captain Stacie Lally (Forest Hill, Md./Fallston), and Thompson set a school record in the 4×100 relay with a time of 54.69 for fifth place. The time ranks the Seahawks 30th in the region.
- Ojulu, Romero, Blaisdell, and Thompson teamed up for a fifth-place finish in the 4×400 relay with a time of 4:34.19.
- Lally led the Seahawks in the javelin throw with a mark of 14.30m for a fifth-place finish.
- Ojulu placed sixth in the 200m with a school and personal record of 27.26, surpassing her own record of 27.57 set at the Seahawk Invitational on April 2. Thompson finished 12th with a PR of 28.39, which ranks 16th in the league.
- Collins added a sixth-place finish in the shot put with 8.91m while Blaisdell tallied an eighth-place finish in the 800m with a PR of 2:29.96, which ranks 15th in the conference.
- Thompson picked up an 11th-place finish in the long jump with 3.91m while first-year Ariana Lecouras (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) registered a PR of 21:07.12 to finish 12th in the 5000m.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- May 18-19 at All-Atlantic Region Track & Field Conference Outdoor Championships – Bethlehem, Pa.