LEONARDTOWN, MD (September 9, 2022) – The St. Mary’s County Health Department (SMCHD) held a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Thursday, September 8, 2022, to celebrate the official launch of the St. Mary’s County Health Hub.
In 2021, the St. Mary’s County Equity Task Force, in partnership with the Housing Authority of St. Mary’s County (HASMC) announced plans for the St. Mary’s County Health Hub. The 6,200 square-foot facilities, located at 21625 Great Mills Road in Lexington Park, was donated by PNC Bank to HASMC to be used by the health department for COVID-19 pandemic response, behavioral health crisis stabilization services, and other programs to promote wellness. SMCHD and a variety of community partners will roll these services out over the next several months.
Currently, the Health Hub offers a broad range of scientifically proven interventions through the SMCHD Harm Reduction Program to promote safety, infection prevention, and recovery for community members with a substance use disorder. COVID-19 testing and vaccine appointments have also been available at the Health Hub location.
Future Hub services planned for launch over the next several months include:
- Behavioral health crisis stabilization services
- Jail diversion programs that emphasize mental health and substance use treatment
- Primary care health services (e.g., routine preventative care, immunizations, health screenings, diagnosis/treatment, etc.)
- Coaching, workshops, and other training to support violence prevention, conflict resolution, housing stability, employment, and financial well-being, literacy and academic tutoring, and youth mentoring
“The health department team is grateful for our partnership with PNC Bank, the Sheriff’s Office, Public Schools, and Housing Authority in establishing this facility and for the support of our state and local elected officials in getting it ready. Many community partners are coming together to turn the vision for this Health Hub into a reality,” said Dr. Meena Brewster, St. Mary’s County Health Officer. “This facility and the private-public partnership supporting its use will greatly benefit our community members and their families. We’re excited to get it going!”
Special thanks to the Hub Alliance Partners, Maryland Community Health Resources Commission, and to our local health care providers, first responders, and behavioral health support organizations.
Hub Alliance Partners
- Community Mediation Center of St. Mary’s County
- Greater Baden Medical Services
- Housing Authority of St. Mary’s County
- Literacy Council of St. Mary’s County
- MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital
- Minority Outreach Coalition
- NAACP Branch #7025
- PALM Public Consultants
- PNC Bank
- Stella’s Girls, Inc.
- St. Mary’s County Department of Social Services
- St. Mary’s County Health Department
- St. Mary’s County Library
- St. Mary’s County Public Schools
- St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office
- Three Oaks Shelter
- Williams, McClernan & Stack