Aston, PA. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland Volleyball team (4-2) traveled to Aston, PA, Wednesday evening to compete against the Neumann Knights (1-3). The Seahawks fell to the Knights in a three-set match.
St. Marys-0 Neumann-3
How it Happened
- The Seahawks entered this match with a four-game winning streak and high hopes to make it five. However, the Knights were prepared and started the first set off with an immediate five-point lead. The Seahawks were not deterred by a slow start and kept the set within a three-point game. However, St. Mary’s efforts weren’t enough to take the lead, and Neumann continued to win in the first set (22-25).
- The Seahawks attempted to regain control of the match in the second set. However, Neumann’s patience and consistency lead them to another set win (12-25). St. Mary’s perseverance was highlighted in the third set, as a kill from Ellie Matthews (Hollywood, MD) from Nicole Gibson (Fairfax, VA) ignited a four-point streak early on in the set. Yet, this energy was matched by Neumann as they won the third and final set 14-25.
- Meghan Stevens (Westminster, MD) and Grace Gilmore (Redding, CT) each notched 5 kills in this match while also leading St. Mary’s statistics in other areas.
- Gilmore also led the lead in assists (8), while Alayna Sievert (Lusby, MD) followed closely behind (5).
- Stevens’s defensive efforts were shown by leading the team in digs (11).
This Friday, the St. Mary’s College of Maryland Volleyball team travels to Washington, DC, to take on Catholic at 7:00 pm.