The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team evened out their United East Conference record Wednesday night (Jan. 11) with an overtime victory over the visiting Gallaudet University Bison.
St. Mary’s College (7-6, 2-2 United East) outscored the Bison (1-12, 0-3 United East), 14-6, in the extra frame to come away with a 68-60 win after erasing a 15-point second-half deficit.
How It Happened
- Gallaudet came out on top in the first half as the Bison shot 45.8-percent (11-24) from the field, including knocking down four three-pointers, compared to St. Mary’s 29.2-field goal percentage.
- The first 20 minutes featured five tied scores and two lead changes with Gallaudet taking a 31-19 advantage into the break.
- The Bison grew their lead to 15 with a 7-4 run in the first three minutes of the second stanza.
- St. Mary’s began to claw its way back into the game, cutting its deficit to three with seven minutes remaining in the game as junior forward Gary Grant (Washington, D.C./Thomas Stone [Md.]) and first-year guard Micah Henry (Laurel, Md./Hammond) combined for nine points in the Seahawks’ 17-5 rally.
- Less than four minutes later, junior forward Hollique Johnson (Glen Burnie, Md./Old Mill) drained his only triple of the game at 3:14 to give the home team their first lead (50-48) of the game since 13-10 at the 8:51 mark in the first half.
- The two teams traded leads in a one-minute span as Rory Lewis put Gallaudet back on top, 53-51, with triple at 2:13 before senior guard Daryn Alexander (Twinbrook, Md./Richard Montgomery) responded for the Seahawks with a tree-pointer of his own for a 54-53 lead at 1:16.
- After Malosi Viena made the front end of a 1-and-1 to knot the game at 54-all, both sides missed potential go-ahead baskets to send the game into overtime.
- St. Mary’s started the extra frame on a 7-1 run behind four points from Henry and never looked back in locking up its second conference win of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary’s gained 16 fast-break points and 11 points off 14 Bison turnovers while edging Gallaudet, 41-37, in rebounds as first-year forward JD Salo (Dunkirk, Md./Northern) hauled in a game-best nine boards and notched two blocks.
- The Seahawks went 10-for-12 from the free throw line in overtime.
- Gallaudet limited the hosts to just three three-pointers while the Bison doubled up with six triples.
St. Mary’s Game Notes
- Senior guard Jordan Goodwin (Baltimore, Md./Milford Mill) tallied a game-high 18 points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Henry also finished the game scoring in double digits with 14 points while adding four assists and three boards.
- St. Mary’s shot 42.3-percent (22-52) for the game, including 54.2-percent (13-24) in the second half.
Gallaudet Game Notes
- Lewis paced the Bison with 11 points as the Bison lost their second consecutive overtime game to extend their losing streak to 10.
- Preston Kelly pulled down a game-best nine caroms and dished out a game-high seven assists.
- Gallaudet finished shooting 35.8-percent (19-53) after making only 28.6-percent (6-21) of its shot in the second half and only 25-percent (2-8) in overtime.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 14 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (5-7, 2-1 United East) – St. Mary’s City, Md. (MPOARC Arena) – 3:00 p.m. (Community Youth Game)