The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, in collaboration with the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Navy’s Supervisor of Salvage and Diving, has completed the full restoration of the Potomac River section affected by the January 29 midair collision between an American Airlines regional jet and a U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopter. Officials confirmed that the waterway was cleared and safe for navigation six days ahead of schedule.
Baltimore District Commander Col. Francis Pera praised the coordinated efforts of all agencies involved, emphasizing the importance of teamwork in the aftermath of the devastating crash. “We are proud of the unified efforts and partnerships that endured through this response and helped make this mission successful,” said Pera. “Each day, we thought of those who lost their lives, their loved ones, and the many incident responders impacted by this tragic event.”

Following the collision, response teams focused on rescue and recovery operations before shifting to wreckage removal. A total of 49 subject matter experts from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers joined more than 2,000 responders from 45 private, local, state, and federal agencies to assess the site and coordinate the complex removal process. Preparations began on January 31, with recovery crews starting the removal of large debris on February 3. The most substantial portions of the jet were removed first, followed by the extraction of the Black Hawk helicopter on February 6.
The final phase of the operation involved clearing the remaining wreckage from the debris field to eliminate any hazards to navigation. The entire process was carried out under the guidance of the Unified Command, ensuring that the recovery of missing flight passengers and personnel was handled with the utmost dignity. By February 5, Unified Command confirmed that all 67 victims had been recovered and positively identified.
After removal, the wreckage was transported to a secure location, where the National Transportation Safety Board began a layout examination as part of its ongoing investigation into the cause of the crash. While all major components have been recovered, authorities urge residents to remain vigilant. If individuals come across any debris in the Potomac or Anacostia Rivers or along the shoreline, they should call 911 and avoid touching or removing any items.
“With wreckage removal and demobilization behind us, the Potomac is once again safe for navigation,” Pera said. “It is our hope that this helps provide the region a small sense of normalcy following this tragic event.”
