By Nairem Moran ·email@example.com
Bridgewater, Va. –The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team won one and lost one Saturday at a tri-match hosted by Bridgewater (Va.) College. St. Mary’s (14-17) picked up a quality four-set victory over regionally-ranked Bridgewater (23-6) before falling in four to Lebanon Valley College (17-11). The Seahawks rallied from one down against BC, 20-25, 25-14, 25-9, 26-24, and then went 17-25, 13-25, 25-22, 25-12 in their match with Lebanon Valley.
The Capital Athletic Conference regular-season wrapped up today as well and when all was said and done, St. Mary’s finished as the No. 8 seed and will travel to top-seeded University of Mary Washington on Tuesday, October 30 for the 2018 CAC Volleyball Championship Tournament First Round. First serve is at 7:00 p.m. Mary Washington swept the Seahawks last Wednesday in St. Mary’s home finale.
St. Mary’s 3, Bridgewater 1
- St. Mary’s won the first point of the first set but the Eagles, who rank sixth in the NCAA Division III South Region, took over, building an 18-12 lead and then used two consecutive kills fromDeja Bookerto seal the 25-20 win and a 1-0 advantage.
- The Seahawks grabbed the second game, 25-14, to pull even at 1-1 as St. Mary’s established an early 8-3 advantage and led by as many as nine before scoring the final four points for the victory.
- In the third set, Bridgewater tallied an early lead but the Seahawks went on a 10-1 run to notch an 11-3 lead and never looked back in a dominant 25-9 triumph. St. Mary’s hit .348, its highest mark of the match.
- The Seahawks came back from a 17-13 deficit in the fourth game with a 6-0 spurt to claim their first lead of the set. The Eagles responded with a quick run of their own and regained a 23-22 edge before St. Mary’s netted four of the match’s final five points for the win.
- Senior captainHannah Krauss(Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) turned in a nearly perfect day for the Seahawks, with a career- and match-best 15 kills against no errors in 22 attempts (.682).
- Senior outside hitterMeghan Kelley(Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) added 10 kills with three errors in 31 attempts (.226).
- Senior setterMia Griffiths(La Plata, Md./La Plata) collected her 11th double-double with 37 assists and 12 digs.
- Senior captainMarissa Dangler(Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg)led St. Mary’s with 19 digs.
- The Seahawks committed just 13 errors for the entire match, put up five blocks and served up five aces.
St. Mary’s 1, Lebanon Valley 3
- Lebanon Valley jumped ahead 2-0 as the Dutchmen posted 25-17 and 25-13 win in the first two sets as the Seahawks hit negatively in both games, combining for just 11 kills against 14 errors in 65 attempts.
- St. Mary’s came back and won the third game, 25-22, to cut LVC’s lead in half. It was a tight set throughout until the Seahawks rattled off eight of the final 12 points for the win.
- The fourth set saw the Dutchmen boast an early 7-2 lead, never relinquishing the lead in a 25-12 win, as St. Mary’s once again did not attack in the positive.
- Kraussand first-year outside hitterChanel Lucas(Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton) each tallied eight kills to lead the way for the Seahawks whileGriffithsadded another double-double with 29 assists and 11 digs.
- Danglerput up a match-best 18 digs while first-yearJulia Sledz(Bethlehem, Pa./Bethlehem Catholic) contributed 10 digs and two service aces.
- As a team, the Seahawks had six service aces and two blocks.