News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. –Gina Seifertrecorded her third double-double of the season for the St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (4-13, 0-6 CAC) with 14 points and 12 rebounds in a 79-65 defeat to Southern Virginia (15-1, 6-0 CAC) Saturday (Jan. 19) afternoon.
St. Mary’s – 65, Southern Virginia – 79
How It Happened
- The Seahawks started strong, stringing together five consecutive points to begin the opening quarter.Hallie Perselldrained a three-ball and jump shot for the early advantage. Southern Virginia captured a 12-10 lead at the three minute mark of the quarter, but the Seahawks played well the rest of the stanza, outscoring the Knights 9-3.
- Trailing 24-21, the Knights scored an impressive 17 unanswered points to pull ahead of the Seahawks 38-24 with 4:01 remaining in the third quarter. Similar to the first quarter, St. Mary’s closed out the second stanza on a high note by besting the Knights 6-2.
- In the third quarter of play, the Seahawks started to inch themselves back into the contest. Down 53-44, St. Mary’s knocked down six unanswered points to cut the Knights’ lead to 53-50.Katie Robeystarted the run with a layup andKelli Jenkinsfollowed with a three-pointer. The Seahawks headed into the final quarter of action trailing 57-53.
- Kobe Chaneybegan the fourth quarter with a made layup and jumper to knot the score up at 57-57. However, St. Mary’s comeback bid would fall short as the Knights pulled away for the 79-65 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifertled the Seahawks with her third double-double of the season.Seifertrecorded 14 points and 12 rebounds.
- Persellknocked down 11 points and collected four rebounds.
- Chaneycame off the bench and tallied ten points, and added two rebounds.
- Alexus Barnesled all scorers with 26 points.Katie Garrishrecorded a double-double with 14 points and 14 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 23 at Penn State Harrisburg (7-10, 1-5 CAC) – Capital Union Building Gymnasium – Capital Athletic Conference game – 6:00 p.m.