News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
MIDDLETOWN, Pa. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball (7-11, 1-6 CAC) battled back late in the second half from a sizable deficit, but the Seahawks comeback bid fell short at Penn State Harrisburg (11-7, 3-4 CAC). The Seahawks fell to the Lions 76-69 Wednesday (Jan. 23) night.
St. Mary’s – 69, Penn State Harrisburg – 76
How It Happened
- PSU Harrisburg began the game strong, jumping out to a 13-5 lead early in the first half. The Lions continued to control the pace of play throughout the half and held a 31-23 lead with 4:28 remaining until halftime. Next, the Seahawks strung together eight straight points to even the score at 31. Layups fromSpencer Schultz,Reggie Rouse, andMatt Ayoubhighlighted the scoring run. The Seahawks headed into halftime trailing the Lions 36-32.
- PSU Harrisburg came out of the locker rooms firing on all cylinders with an 11-2 run, extending their lead over the Seahawks 47-34 at the 12:19 mark of the half.
- Trailing by 13 with 5:15 left in regulation, the Seahawks gained momentum with a big block fromNaheed John. Next, St. Mary’s hustled down the floor and capitalized with a layup fromJustin Milstead. Moments later,Johncontinued his stellar play with an electrifying dunk at the 3:52 mark to bring the Seahawks within six points. The Lions jumped out to another nine point lead untilAyoubstepped up with a clutch three-pointer and layup seconds later to trim the Lions lead to four.
- With short time remaining, the Seahawks cut the lead to three, but PSU Harrisburg was able to sink their free throws to seal the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Nine different players scored for the Seahawks during the contest.
- Ayoubled the Seahawks with 13 points and added three assists.
- Johnbrought down a team-best eight rebounds and tallied 12 points.
- Milsteadcollected 11 points and Schultz tallied 10 to round out double-digit scorers for the Seahawks.
- Chris Bingled the Lions with a double-double, knocking down 27 points and gathering 11 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 26 at Salisbury (13-5, 3-4 CAC) – Maggs Physical Activities Center Gymnasium – Capital Athletic Conference game – 4:00 p.m.