News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – Senior forward Kobe Chaney led the Seahawks with a double-double, knocking down 15 points and collecting 12 rebounds in a Capital Athletic Conference loss against the Christopher Newport University (CNU) Captains on Wednesday (Jan. 30) evening. St. Mary’s College of Maryland dropped to 5-15 overall and 1-8 in conference play with the loss, while the Captains improved to 15-5 overall and 6-3 in the CAC.
How It Happened
- CNU jumped out to an early 9-2 lead and held the advantage over the Seahawks for the rest of the second half. St. Mary’s headed into halftime trailing the Captains 37-25.Janey MathisenandKatie Robeyled the charge in the opening half with seven points each.
- St. Mary’s attempted to cut into CNU’s lead in the third quarter, but could only manage to string together four-consecutive points in the frame. The Captains outscored the Seahawks 15-13 in the third quarter and brought a 52-38 lead into the fourth.
- The Seahawks showed signs of life to start the fourth quarter by tallying six unanswered points to bring CNU’s lead down to eight points.Gina Seifertknocked down four points andChaneyadded two during the run. The Seahawks managed to put together another four-point and five-point run in the final quarter, but the Captains continued to answer with scores of their own for the 65-55.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned,Chaneyled the Seahawks with 15 points and 12 rebounds off the bench.Seifertwas the other Seahawk to record a double-double, tallying 12 points and 10 rebounds.
- Robeydished out a team-best five assists. On the defensive end,Seiferthustled for five steals andChaneycollected three blocks.
- Jessica Daguihled all scorers with 20 points on the night. In addition,Sondra Fanadded 18 points for the Captains.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 2 at Frostburg St. (13-6, 5-4 CAC) – Bobcat Arena – Capital Athletic Conference game – 1:00 p.m