News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
LEXINGTON, Va. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s lacrosse (4-3) nearly upset the third ranked team in the land, but fell just short against the Washington & Lee Generals by a score of 14-13 on Saturday (Mar. 16) afternoon.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks gained a quick 2-0 advantage just three and half minutes into the contest.Caitlin KatchmarandSydni Thackerfound the back of the net for the early lead. The Generals fired back with two scores of their own, evening the game 2-2. Next, back-to-back scores fromJodi CreditandKate Bartholomewgave the Seahawks a 4-2 lead with 12:38 remaining in the first half. However, the lead was short lived as the General strung together a four-goal scoring burst to take a 6-4 lead with under five minutes remaining in the opening half.
- St. Mary’s College evened the game at six a piece with two-straight scores fromSusanna SchmidtandKatchmar. Washington & Lee scored with 30 seconds left in the half and held a slim 7-6 lead at halftime.
- The Seahawks took a 10-8 lead by scoring four of five goals to begin the second half.Lucy Gussio(2),Nicole Kuderski, andSchmidtripped shots into the back of the net for the two goal lead. The Generals answered with three-straight goals and held a 11-10 advantage with just over 12 minutes remaining in regulation. St. Mary’s College and Washington & Lee exchanged goals and played to a 13-13 tie with 2:41 left. With short time remaining, the Generals managed to score with 30 seconds remaining and escaped with the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Katchmarled the Seahawks on the offensive end with five points from three goals and two assists.Gussiofollowed with three goals, whileBartholomewregistered three points off of one goal and two assists. Additionally,Creditfinished the afternoon with three points, thanks to two goals and one assist.
- On the defensive end,Stephanie Heffronled the Seahawks with four ground balls and three caused turnovers. In goal,Emma Browncollected nine saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 20 vs. Randolph-Macon – 4:30 p.m. – Jamie L. Roberts Stadium