News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s lacrosse (7-5, 1-0 CAC) was upended by the visiting Meredith College Avenging Angels (10-3) by a final score of 16-10 on Sunday (Mar. 31) afternoon. The Seahawks led 7-5 at halftime before allowing 11 goals in the second half in the loss.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks started the game strong by scoring four out of the first five goals.Ali Collie,Kate Bartholomew, andLucy Gussio(2) found the back of the net for the 4-1 advantage. The Seahawks and Avenging Angels traded scores for the remainder of the half and the Seahawks took a 7-5 lead into halftime.Gussio,Bartholomew, andSydni Thackerbeat the opposing goalkeeper for the Seahawks final three scores of the half. Meredith College tallied their final goal of the first half with one second remaining.
- The Avenging Angels captured the momentum to begin the second half with back-to-back goals, evening the game at seven. St. Mary’s College responded with a two goal scoring burst to retake the lead, 9-7.Bartholomewaccounted for both of the Seahawks goals during the run. Next, Meredith College took control of the contest with seven unanswered goals for a 14-9 lead with 10:41 remaining. The Seahawks were outscored 2-1 in the final ten minutes of action in the loss.
Inside the Box Score
- Bartholomewled the Seahawks on the offensive end with four points off of four goals.Gussio(3g) andCollie(1g, 2a) followed with three points each.
- Alyssa Demskihustled for a team-best eight ground balls, whileMary Kate Fitz-Patrickpaced the team with two caused turnovers. In goal,Emma Browncollected 11 saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 6 at York – 1:00 p.m. | Capital Athletic Conference contest | Graham Field