News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse (8-5, 1-1 CAC) dropped a Capital Athletic Conference matchup to the No. 5 York College Spartans (11-1, 2-0 CAC) by a final score of 19-9 on Saturday (Apr. 6) afternoon.
How It Happened
- The first quarter of action was highly competitive and had York take a 5-3 lead into the second stanza.Erich Wuesthoff,Jude Brown, andDominic Venanziall found the back of the net in the opening quarter.
- The Spartans took over the game in the second quarter, keeping the Seahawks scoreless and tallying five unanswered scores for a 10-3 lead at halftime.
- York brought their momentum from the first half and used it to start the second half strong with four-straight goals. St. Mary’s College responded with back-to-back scores with goals fromBrownandWuesthoff. The Spartans answered with a three goal scoring burst, but the Seahawks continued to play hard and found the back of the cage with two seconds remaining in the quarter.Ray LaPlacafoundMax Groenon the crease for the score with short time.
- In the final quarter of action, the Seahawks outscored the Spartans 3-2.Groen,Abe Hubbard, andConnor Benhoffbeat the opposing goalkeeper to conclude the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Brown led the Seahawks on the offensive end with four points off of two goals and two assists.Groenfollowed with three points, recording two goals and one assist.
- Luke McWright,Alex Pfaff, andJeremiah Clemmerpaced the Seahawks with three ground balls each, whileVenanziled the Seahawks with two caused turnovers. In goal,Ross Snodderlycollected eight saves andKyrle Preisrecorded four.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 13 at Mary Washington – 1:00 p.m. | Capital Athletic Conference contest | Jamie L. Roberts Stadiu