News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
FROSTBURG, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (8-17-1, 2-12 CAC) picked up their first two Capital Athletic Conference victories this season with a sweep over the Frostburg St. Bobcats (11-13, 1-11 CAC) on Saturday (Apr. 13) afternoon. The Seahawks took game one 8-3 and game two 14-9.
How It Happened (Game One)
- The first five innings of action displayed solid pitching and defense as both squads were only able to push across one run each. The Bobcats plated their first run in the second inning and held a 1-0 lead untilDillon Watersstepped up to the plate, and helped his cause on the mound with a RBI double.
- Tied at one, the Seahawks found their offensive rhythm with six runs scored between the sixth and seventh innings. Two errors committed by the Bobcats plated two runs for the Seahawks in the sixth andJay Hammettadded a RBI double for another run in the sixth inning. In the seventh inning, the Seahawks tacked on two more runs with an RBI double fromTyler Taitanoand a sacrifice fly byLucas Kraft.
- St. Mary’s College was outscored 2-1 in the final two innings, but solid pitching fromBen Websterclosed the door on a Frostburg comeback.
Inside the Box Score (Game One)
- Hammett,Dakota Merritt,Andy Collins, andKraftled the Seahawks from the plate with two hits each. In addition,Kraft,T. Taitano,Hammett, andD. Watersrecorded one RBI each.Bowen Plaggealso had a solid day in the batter’s box, drawing two walks and adding one hit.
- D. Watersstarted the game on the mound and threw 6.2 innings to earn the victory.D. Watersallowed just two earned runs and struck out seven batters. As mentioned,Websterpitched in relief and earned the save.
How It Happened (Game Two)
- St. Mary’s College struck first in the offensive shootout, plating two runs in the top of the second.CollinsandKraftlined RBI singles for the early lead. Next, the Bobcats answered with five runs in the bottom of the third to capture a 5-2 lead.
- Trailing by three runs, the Seahawks heated up from the plate with nine runs between the fourth and sixth innings.Brady Waters(2),Plagge(2),Joey Bryner(2),T. Taitano, andCollins(2) tallied RBI’s during the scoring run.
- Leading 11-7, the Seahawks tacked on three more runs in the seventh inning to double up the Bobcats, 14-7. Two runs scored on two separate wild pitches andBrynerdrove in a run with a double to center field. Frostburg plated two runs towards the end of the game, but couldn’t overcome their large deficit.
Inside the Box Score (Game Two)
- Collinshad a monster game from the plate, finishing four-of-five with three RBI and one run scored.Bryneradded three hits and three RBI, whilePlaggetallied three hits and two RBI. On the bases,PlaggeandKraftstole one base each.
- Dan McCannstarted the game on the mound for the Seahawks and threw three innings, while recording two strikeouts.Tim HandandSam Roederpitched in relief withHandultimately earning the victory.HandandRoederpitched three innings each and both struck out two batters.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 14 at Frostburg – 12:00 p.m. | Capital Athletic Conference game | Bob Wells Field