News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
WASHINGTON, D.C. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (8-19-2, 2-12-1 CAC) dropped a non-conference twin bill to the Catholic University Cardinals (21-10) on Wednesday (Apr. 17) afternoon. The Seahawks fell in game one 12-7 and game two 10-8.
How It Happened (Game One)
- St. Mary’s had a solid start to the game, taking a 4-2 advantage over the Cardinals after the second inning.Andy Collins,Tyler Taitano, andConnor Courseydrove in runs for the early lead. The Cardinals captured the lead, 6-4, with four runs between the third and fourth innings.
- In the top of the fifth inning,Dakota Merrittlined a double down the left field run for two RBI, evening the game at six. However, the Cardinals posted six runs in the bottom half of the inning, doubling up the Seahawks 12-6. St. Mary’s College added one more run in the sixth inning, but were held scoreless for the remainder of the game.
Inside the Box Score (Game One)
- Bowen Plaggeled the Seahawks from the plate, finishing three-of-four with one run scored.Merrittfollowed with two RBI off of one hit.
- Tyson Johnsonstarted the game on the mound for the Seahawks, throwing three innings and allowing four earned runs.Johnsonalso struck out six batters in his outing.Nick TestoniandDrew Sturgesspitched in relief.Testoniwas charged with the loss and allowed six earned runs, whileSturgessonly allowed one earned run and recorded a strikeout.
How It Happened (Game Two)
- Catholic jumped out to a 6-1 lead after two innings of play. A RBI triple fromHolden Marshalland RBI fromJoey Brynertrimmed the Catholic lead to three runs. Next, the Cardinals responded by tacking on two more runs in the fifth inning to take a five run lead.
- Trailing by five runs,Jay Hammettstepped up to the plate and mashed a grand slam to left field to make the score 8-7 in favor of Catholic. However, the Seahawks couldn’t build off their momentum and were outscored 2-1 for the remainder of the game.
Inside the Box Score (Game Two)
- Lucas KraftandDillon Watersled the Seahawks with two hits in five trips to the plate.Hammettfollowed with a team-best four RBI off of his grand slam in the seventh inning.
- Will Spanoghestarted the game on the mound for the Seahawks, pitching five innings and allowing seven earned runs.Spanoghealso recorded seven strikeouts in his appearance.Jake WillsandGriffin Honsepitched in relief.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 19 vs. Salisbury – 3:45 p.m. | Hawk’s Nest