News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (8-20-2, 2-13-1 CAC) took on the visiting No. 12 Salisbury University Sea Gulls on Monday (Apr. 22) afternoon and were edged 3-1 in Capital Athletic Conference action.
How It Happened
- After a quick three innings of scoreless baseball, the Sea Gulls put the first run up on the board for a slim 1-0 advantage. Salisbury built their lead in the fifth inning, tacking on two more runs for a 3-0 advantage over the Seahawks.
- St. Mary’s College finally pushed across their first run of the game in the bottom of the eighth inning.Derek Taitanolined a RBI single to center field, scoringDan McCannto trim the Sea Gull lead to two. The bottom of the ninth inning had a promising start for the Seahawks asBowen Plaggesingled for a leadoff runner. However, a strikeout and double play ended any chances of a comeback.
Inside the Box Score
- Plaggeled the Seahawks from the plate with two hits in four trips to the plate.D. Taitano,Andy Collins, andTyler Taitanorecorded one hit each.
- Dillon Watersstarted the game on the mound and was charged with the loss. However,D. Watersthrew seven innings, allowing just three earned runs and striking out seven batters.Mark SmithandPlaggepitched in relief and held the Sea Gulls scoreless.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 23 vs. Salisbury – 12:00 p.m. (DH) | Hawk’s Nest