News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s lacrosse (9-9, 3-3 CAC) concluded their 2019 season with a heartbreaking 14-13 loss to the Christopher Newport University Captains (9-9, 2-4 CAC) on Saturday (Apr. 27) afternoon in the First Round of the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament.
How It Happened
- Trailing 6-1 with 21:45 remaining in the first half, the Seahawks recorded back-to-back goals to cut the Captain lead in half.Caitlin KatchmarandSydni Thackerfound the back of the net during the quick scoring burst.
- CNU netted three-straight goals to gain a six goal advantage, but the Seahawks finished the half strong with back-to-back goals and headed into halftime trailing 9-5.Ali CollieandKatchmarbeat the opposing goalkeeper for scores at the end of the first half.
- The Captains built a 14-6 lead at the 13:57 mark of the second half. Next, St. Mary’s College began a furious comeback, netting seven unanswered scores. The run began with three-straight goals fromKatchmar, andCollie,Kate Bartholomew, andThackerfollowed. With short time remaining, the Seahawks stormed down the field and found the back of the net with six seconds remaining to bring themselves within one.ColliefoundBartholomewfor the score with six seconds left. However, the Captains won the ensuing draw control and drained the remainder of the clock.
Inside the Box Score
- Bartholomewled the Seahawks on the offensive end with seven points off of three goals and four assists.Colliefollowed with six points (3g, 3a), whileKatchmarfinished with five points (5g).
- On the defensive end,Jodi CreditandJayne Barkmancaused a team-best two turnovers.Mary Kate Fitz-Patrickled St. Mary’s College with three ground balls and three draw controls. In goal,Emma Browncollected ten saves.