Maryland is known for big cities like Baltimore, and smaller sprawling suburbs like Columbia, Elkon, Salisbury, Hagerstown, and more. But Maryland is also known for sprawling farm communities and small towns.
A lot of these towns share a high school amongst them due to the population. Most of the time, you’ll go to school for twelve years with the same children, whereas other towns you start getting separated after Elementary or Middle School.
So we thought it would be fun to come up with 10 reasons to know you are from a small High School in Southern Maryland…Do you think you could add any?
1)Your Graduating Class was only a few hundred people, and you know almost or all of their names.
2) Dating was limited to your school unless you drove to a totally different area. And then you probably saw them irregularly.
3) Entertainment? You could be entertained in a barn, at the beach, or anywhere. Your imagination for fun was as wide open as the fields you grew up in.
4) Field Trips involved farms, plantations, and/or nature preserves close to home.
5) Prom, and Homecoming were typically in the Gym, or an organization’s facilities like Moose Lodge, Elks, Jaycees, etc.
6) Busy highways made you nervous, but hilly roads and hairpin turn into the woods were exhilarating!
7) Shucking corn, peeling potatoes, snapping green beans and crabs were fun!
8) The 4-H club was as big as the football team.
9) The County fair was the penultimate experience every year
10) You dreamt of leaving for a more exciting big city life, and may have…but you return to the place we’ll always call home.