News Release, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Deadline for Hunt Clubs to Enter Lottery is Aug. 27
Hunt clubs interested in obtaining a hunting lease agreement onChesapeake Forest Landscan enter a lottery for individual, non-leased tracts in Dorchester, Wicomico, and Worcester counties. TheMaryland Department of Natural Resourceswill acceptonline entriesuntil Aug. 27.
“Hunting is an important part of our overall land management strategy for sustaining Chesapeake Forest Lands,”Maryland Forest ServiceDirector Don VanHassent said. “I encourage our responsible partners in the hunting community to take part in this lottery.”
The department advises entrants to visit the forest tracts before making a selection, as some have limited access. Hunt clubs are expected to help maintain access roads, gates, and signs along the leased property.
Rules and guidelines for the lottery are as follows:
- A participating hunt club must be a legal entity.
- Only hunt club members at least 18 years of age can participate in the lottery.
- A hunt club must have at least two members licensed to hunt in Maryland with one person designated as the club president.
- Each member may fill out a lottery form. Only one submission per person will be placed in the lottery.
- Each entrant can choose up to four tracts for the hunting lottery. The drawing will occur at 2 p.m. Aug. 28. Winning entrances/entries will be awarded the first available tract they choose.
The Chesapeake Forest Lands is composed of 238 parcels totaling more than 58,000 acres in five lower Eastern Shore counties. The state purchased the lands to manage and protect them as well as expand opportunities for public access for outdoor recreation like canoeing, birding, fishing, and hunting.