News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team (1-3,0-0) continued the Virginia Wesleyan Tournament as they took on Wesley College (0-4, 0-0) and Randolph-Macon College (3-0, 0-0). The Seahawks defeated Wesley 3-0 in the first match dropped their second match 3-0 to Randolph-Macon.
- The two teams came out even in the first set as it was tied 12-12 almost halfway through. From there the Seahawks pulled away and took a 25-19 victory to take the first set.
- The second set was different in that the Seahawks jumped out to a 6-1 lead until several unforced errors allowed Wesley back into the match with the Seahawks only leading by one at 8-7. The two teams traded points until it became a 17-15 lead for the Seahawks. Next senior Audrey McKay recorded a kill for the 18th point and they wouldn’t look back from there taking a 25-20 win.
- Wesley led late in the third set at 18-17 but the Seahawks would rally for a 25-23 win.
- For the third straight match, junior Ellyse Sutliff led the Seahawks in kills with 14.
- McKay, Chanel Lucas, and Erin Krauss were all tied for second in kills with six each.
- Emily Benedict had a huge match for the Seahawks as she recorded a team-high twenty-three digs.
St. Mary’s – 0, Randolph-Macon – 3
- The Seahawks saw a tough first set losing 25-8, but bounced back and battled in the second two sets. The Yellow Jackets held a narrow lead at 13-12 in the second set and pulled away for a 25-20 victory. The Seahawks also fought hard in the third set trading points but fell 25-17.
- Sutliff and Krauss both led the Seahawks with six kills each.
- Nicole Kreutzinger had seven digs which put her as the top Seahawk in that category.
Up Next for the Seahawks:
- Sept. 4 at Eastern Mennonite | 7:00 PM | Yoder Arena
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks,
Twitter: @smcseahawks, | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks