By: David M. Higgins II

UPDATE 10/2/2019: The PHVFD member that suffered a sudden cardiac arrest event while on the scene of a structure fire on 29 September remains hospitalized. Over the past several days, he has undergone multiple tests while at Southern Maryland Hospital Center, leading to the determination that he will require heart surgery.

He was transferred to the ICU at Washington Hospital Center last night, where he will undergo the surgery later this week. He is conscious, alert, and is in good spirits.

We once again would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers for our member and his family during this time. We will provide another update once his surgery is complete and we have further information on his prognosis.

UPDATE 9/29/2019 1:30 p.m.- On Sunday, September 29, 2019, at 5:43 a.m. The PHVFDRS was alerted to a structure fire on Glymont Road. PHVFD’s Engine 73 responded with five personnel. Upon arrival, they discovered a one-story residential apartment with fire showing. The crew began an exterior attack of the fire. Upon establishing command, they discovered that there possibly people trapped inside the building.

The crew began a safe search of the structure and found no residents inside. All personnel exited safely.

About 15 minutes into the incident, the driver of Engine 73 suffered a medical emergency as he was attempting to replace a section of hose that had burned. The member was found on the ground, unresponsive and not breathing.

Several firefighters, along with WMT’s and the Sheriff’s Office quickly responded and began resuscitation efforts. The member was successfully revived and was transported to Southern Maryland Hospital Center in Clinton, MD where he is listed in stable condition.

The Department asks that no members visit while the member rests and to respect the family’s privacy. No further information about the member will be released.

We are still awaiting a report from the Office of the State Fire Marshal

Charles County, MD- On Saturday, September 28, 2019, in the overnight hours, the Potomac Heights Volunteer Fire Department & Rescue Squad(PHVFDRS) responded to a structure fire as first due.

We are awaiting a report on the blaze from the fire marshal and will report as soon as received.

The PHVFDRS has posted on their Facebook page that during the blaze, one firefighter suffered a medical incident and was transported to an area hospital. They say the firefighter is in stable condition at this time. We will bring you more info when released.

This is a developing story.

David M. Higgins II, Publisher/Editor

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in...