LEXINGTON, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (3-8) traveled to Washington & Lee University to take on the Generals (8-3) on Saturday (Dec. 28) afternoon. The Seahawks fell to the Generals 79-65 in non-conference action.
St. Mary’s College – 65, Washington & Lee – 79
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College jumped out to an early lead in the first half and took a 12-6 lead over the Generals thanks to back-to-back layups fromMiles GilletteandJack Foley. Washington & Lee battled back and grabbed a nine-point lead over St. Mary’s College at the 4:04 mark of the first half. Next, the Seahawks strung together ten consecutive points and took a 35-34 advantage.Justin Oates,Reggie Rouse, andGillettetallied scores during the run. With under a minute remaining, the Generals drained a three-ball and the Seahawks headed into halftime trailing 37-35.
- The Generals took control of the contest in the second half with an 11 point scoring run at the 15:23 mark and stretched their advantage to 14 with 12:28 left in the game. However, the Seahawks continued to compete and recorded ten-straight points to cut the General lead to 57-53 with 8:59 remaining in regulation.Gary Grantcontributed eight points during the run. Although they trimmed their deficit, the Seahawks couldn’t capture the lead and fell 79-65.
Inside the Box Score
- Grant led the Seahawks on the offensive end for the fifth consecutive game, recording a team-best 21 points.Gillettefollowed with 13 points andJustin Milsteadfinished with 12, respectively. On the glass,GrantandFoleyled the Seahawks with eight rebounds each. On the defensive end,Foleyled St. Mary’s College with four blocks andPhil Newsomeled the Seahawks with two steals.
- William Brueggemanled the Generals with 29 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 29 vs. Gettysburg | 2:00 p.m. | at Washington & Lee University