YORK, Pa. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball (3-12, 0-2 CAC) traveled to York College (10-7, 1-1 CAC) this evening (Jan. 15) to battle the Spartans. A close game at the half got away from the Seahawks, making the final score 80-53 in the Spartans favor.
St. Mary’s College – 53, York College – 80
How it Happened
- Stephanie Howell started the Seahawks off with getting the first points on the board. St. Mary’s College held a three-point lead until the Spartans went on a 12-point scoring run. Kyaira Priest put that run to an end after stealing the ball and sinking a layup, bringing the score to 14-7 in York’s favor. Cameron Mangold tallied three rebounds and one assist in the first quarter.
- Starting the second quarter, the Seahawks were trailing by seven points. Gina Seifert scored the first points of the quarter off an assist from Priest. Off a missed shot by York, Kelli Jenkins snagged a rebound which led to Priest sinking a jump shot and bringing the Seahawks’ point deficit to two points. In the first half, Seifert led the team in points with nine total.
- Entering the second half, St. Mary’s College played a smart offensive game, answering back to York’s points in each play. The Spartans started to capitalize off of the Seahawks’ fouls allowing them to pull away with a more substantial lead. At the end of the third quarter, the Seahawks trailed by 23 points.
- Kierra Johnson was the first to put points on the board in the final quarter after snagging an offensive rebound. The Seahawks then found their stride and went on a six-point scoring run. Jenkins led the team in scoring during the second half tallying eight points. Mangold, Seifert, Howell, and Ashleigh Bonanno recorded two rebounds apiece helping the Seahawks a great deal.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifert once again led the team in scoring this evening with 16 total points. Jenkins was not far behind, recording 14 for the Seahawks. Priest recorded the most rebounds with six total, while Seifert and Mangold contributed five. Priest also led the team with two assists.
- For York, Sammie Mateo led her team by tallying 17 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 18 at Salisbury | 2:00 PM | Maggs Physical Activities Center