By: David M. Higgins II

Waldorf, MD- On Tuesday, January 21, 2020, at 4:43 a.m., the Charles County Emergency 9-1-1 dispatch center was notified of a reported structure fire on Maplewood Court.

The Waldorf Volunteer Fire Department responded, along with several other area companies. Forty firefighters set-up and attacked the fire. The first units on the scene report seeing fire exiting a bay window. The units searched and reported that all occupants of the home were out and began to attack the fire. During the attack of the blaze, units report that the home displayed signs of “hoarder” conditions and a hole was discovered under the Bay Window where the fire was the first seen by arriving units.

The crews gained control and extinguished the fire in approximately 10 minutes. The Office of the State Fire Marshal was called to investigate the incident.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal released it’s preliminary report Tuesday afternoon and stated,” The fire occurred in the living room of the home.  The occupant was alerted by the residential smoke detectors installed in the home.  The occupant found the fire in the living room and was able to escape without injury.  The fire is determined to be accidental, caused by an electrical component located in the living room. “

In the report, the estimated damage to the structure is listed as $50,000.00, while the loss of contents is listed as $25,000.00. The Fire Marshal also states in the report that there were no injuries or deaths associated with this incident.


David M. Higgins II, Publisher/Editor

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in...