ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-15, 0-5 CAC) fell this evening to Christopher Newport University (15-4, 5-0 CAC) in their first matchup of two during the 2019-2020 season. The Captains walked away victorious with a final score of 99-51.
St. Mary’s College – 51, Christopher Newport – 99
How it Happened
- The Captains took an early lead during the first quarter with the help of a 21 point scoring run.Caitlin Maysrecorded two points in the quarter along withGina Seifertwho tallied three. Defensively,Kyaira PriestandMaysrecorded two rebounds, whileSeifertcontributed one.
- During the second period, the Seahawks picked up their offensive game tallying 17 points. BothSeifertandStephanie Howellrecorded four points each whilePriestcontributed three. St. Mary’s College found success from the paint with six points and six points off of fast breaks. Christopher Newport entered half time with a 30 point lead.
- Priestentered the second half in an offensive stride leading the team in scoring with seven points. BothMaysandSeifertrecorded four points alongsideJenkinswho tallied three. St. Mary’s College scored eight points off of turnovers the paint and eight points off of fast breaks.Howellcontributed two assists and two rebounds. The Seahawks were able to hold the Captains to taking a nine-point scoring run.
- Howellled the team in points during the fourth quarter with four total.Seifertwas able to contribute three points and one assist withMaysandChyna Landonsinking two points apiece.Kierra Johnsoncontributed defensively with three rebounds. The Captains were able to take a 51 point lead in the final quarter making them victorious.
Inside the Box Score
- Priestled the team in points this evening with 13 total.Howellrecorded the most assists tallying two, alongsideSeifert,Priest,Ashleigh Bonanno, andKelli Jenkinswho contributed one apiece.Maysled the team with rebounds, snagging six total.
- For the Captains,Anaya Simmonsled the team in points with 12 total. Christopher Newport had 16 different point recorders this evening.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 1 vs. Salisbury University | 2:00 PM | Michael P. O’Brien ARC Arena