ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-15, 0-5 CAC) fell this evening to Christopher Newport University (15-4, 5-0 CAC) in their first matchup of two during the 2019-2020 season. The Captains walked away victorious with a final score of 99-51.
St. Mary’s College – 51, Christopher Newport – 99
How it Happened
- The Captains took an early lead during the first quarter with the help of a 21 point scoring run. Caitlin Mays recorded two points in the quarter along with Gina Seifert who tallied three. Defensively, Kyaira Priest and Mays recorded two rebounds, while Seifert contributed one.
- During the second period, the Seahawks picked up their offensive game tallying 17 points. Both Seifert and Stephanie Howell recorded four points each while Priest contributed three. St. Mary’s College found success from the paint with six points and six points off of fast breaks. Christopher Newport entered half time with a 30 point lead.
- Priest entered the second half in an offensive stride leading the team in scoring with seven points. Both Mays and Seifert recorded four points alongside Jenkins who tallied three. St. Mary’s College scored eight points off of turnovers the paint and eight points off of fast breaks. Howell contributed two assists and two rebounds. The Seahawks were able to hold the Captains to taking a nine-point scoring run.
- Howell led the team in points during the fourth quarter with four total. Seifert was able to contribute three points and one assist with Mays and Chyna Landon sinking two points apiece. Kierra Johnson contributed defensively with three rebounds. The Captains were able to take a 51 point lead in the final quarter making them victorious.
Inside the Box Score
- Priest led the team in points this evening with 13 total. Howell recorded the most assists tallying two, alongside Seifert, Priest, Ashleigh Bonanno, and Kelli Jenkins who contributed one apiece. Mays led the team with rebounds, snagging six total.
- For the Captains, Anaya Simmons led the team in points with 12 total. Christopher Newport had 16 different point recorders this evening.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 1 vs. Salisbury University | 2:00 PM | Michael P. O’Brien ARC Arena