Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
News Release, Written by St. Mary’s College Athletic Communications Intern, Jeremy Mattanah
ST.MARY’S CITY, Md.- The St.Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team (1-1)continued its 2020 season on Saturday (Feb 22) afternoon by hosting the Utica College Pioneers (0-1). The Seahawks beat the Pioneers by a score of 10-0 for their first victory of the season.
St.Mary’s College -10 Utica-0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks came to play today. Andy Collins led the way by pushing two runs across off a single coming in the first inning. After an error and a walk, the Seahawks held a 3-0 lead after the third inning. However they did not stop there, and after a scoreless fourth inning, their bats exploded. Joey Byner led the way with two RBI’s and Collins collected another RBI to extend their lead. The Seahawks were able to score six runs in the span of three innings for the dominating victory.
- St. Mary’s College also received great pitching today and were able to hold the Utica Pioneers to zero runs the whole game. This is the first win for the Seahawks in their young season.
Inside the Box Score
- Bryner led the Seahawks from the plate going three for five. He was also able to record two runs and two RBI’s. Collins led the Seahawks with three RBI’s and was also able to score two runs. Plagge and Rinker were also able to record RBI’s. On the base paths, Wood stole a bag for his second stolen base of the season.
- On the mound, Mark Smith got the start and recorded the win. He had three strikeouts and zero earned runs. However, the relievers were also fantastic. Sam Roeder also managed to strike out three batters. The pitching staff as a whole only gave up five hits.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb.23 vs. Mt. St.Marys (N.Y.) | 3:00 p.m. | Hawks Nest