Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
News Release, St. Mary’s County Public Information Office
Leonardtown, MD – The Commission on People with Disabilities is accepting nominations now through June 1, 2020, for the 12th Annual Awards Program.
The function of the awards program is to promote awareness of the outstanding efforts of individuals and organizations that improve the quality of life for persons with disabilities in St. Mary’s County.
Six awards are issued annually, in July, in celebration of the anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Award categories are:
- Volunteer: candidate should demonstrate exceptional efforts on behalf of the disabled community through volunteering time and energy.
- Notable Employer: candidate should demonstrate exceptional effort in advancing employment and or volunteer opportunities to persons with disabilities.
- Care Partner Award: candidate must be a direct care provider, either paid or volunteer who advocates for and empowers individuals with disabilities.
- Innovative Program: candidate should exhibit an innovative plan and its execution for the inclusion of persons with disabilities in an area of community life.
- Vicki Brown Award (2 awards): candidate must be a person with a disability that enjoys all aspects of life, is a role model and inspiration for others and participates in the advancement of barrier-free access for all.
- Student Award: includes a person of any age enrolled as a student in any capacity.
- Adult Award: includes a person 18 years old and over
Any person, business or organization within St. Mary’s County is eligible and may be submitted by any party.
In the event no candidate is nominated, an award will not be issued. Winners of an award may be resubmitted in successive years consideration of an award. The awards will be presented in July 2020.
Respondents are invited to mail nominations to the Commission on People with Disabilities, c/o Jennifer Martinez, ADA Coordinator, 23115 Leonard Hall Drive, P.O. Box 653, Leonardtown, MD 20650.
For more information, please visit our website: https://www.stmarysmd.com/americandisabilities/DisabilityAwardsProgram.asp