Department’s 2020-2021 Proposal Includes Hunting Days for Veterans
News Release, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
After receiving and reviewing public input, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources has selected the state’s 2020-2021 migratory game bird hunting seasons. These selections are now awaiting final approval from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
“We would like to thank all the members of the public who took the time to comment on our proposed 2020-21 migratory game bird hunting season dates and bag limits,” Waterfowl Project Manager Josh Homyack said. “Whether they attended one of the public meetings or commented online, the participants demonstrated how strongly they are invested in protecting this resource and maintaining the waterfowl hunting experience.”
Highlights of the department’s recommendations include:
- Youth and veteran waterfowl hunting days on Nov. 7, 2020 and Feb. 6, 2021. In addition to youth age 16 and younger, military veterans and members of the Armed Forces including the National Guard and Reserves on active duty (other than for training) may now participate;
- Regular duck hunting season segments from Oct. 10 – 17, Nov. 14 – 27 and Dec. 15 – Jan. 30, 2021 with a daily bag limit of six, including two canvasbacks;
- Migratory Atlantic Population Canada goose hunting segments from Dec. 18 – Jan. 2, 2021 and Jan. 13 – Jan. 30, 2021, with a daily bag limit of one;
- The special season for sea ducks in the designated zone from Oct. 31 – Jan.8, 2021; and
- Mourning dove season segments from Sept. 1 – Oct. 17, Oct. 24 – Nov. 27, and Dec. 19 – Jan. 9, 2021.
The complete list of recommended migratory game bird seasons can be found online and, once finalized, will appear in the 2020-2021 Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping and on the department’s hunting webpage.
Licenses, stamps, and permits may be purchased online or by phone at 855-855-3906.
Hunters with questions may contact the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Wildlife and Heritage Service at 410-260-8540.