By David M. Higgins II, Publisher

La Plata, MD- Units from the La Plata Volunteer Fire Department(LPVFD) were called to a structure fire on Mitchell Road on Sunday, May 31, 2020, at 3:05 p.m. Upon arrival they discovered a two-story single-family home with a fire coming from the laundry room.

Thrity-firefighters responded and had it under control in 20 minutes. The residents of the home smelled the smoke and exited from the home with no injuries.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal responded and determined the fire started from the dryer and was deemed accidental.

Image courtesy of the Office of the State Fire Marshal

The Fire Marshal estimates the loss of structure at $400,000.00 and $200,000.00 in loss of contents.

The family is being assisted by other members of their family.


David M. Higgins II, Publisher/Editor

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in...